Hard drive 3, me 0

Back in July the 3TB hard drive I use for Cygnus files (but not the OS files, which are contained on a much older 40GB drive) decided it didn’t like me and threw a hissy fit. After several days of fscking it repeatedly, which reduced the partition size to 2TB for some reason, I managed to wrest a working file system back off the beast.

But alas, badblocks run non-destructively caused kernel panics (I assume, since it happens when I am not at the computer itself and it just comes back restarted and running fsck yet again), so once I put the house of cards that is the file system on that drive back together again, I decided to just get what data I could save using ddrescue.

Naturally at this point, the beast fights back with this little problem:

ddrescue pain
Gotta love that read speed

The partition has about 685GB of data on it, of which I have no idea of its integrity at this point. I have been running ddrescue 24/7 for 2 months straight now, and I have no idea if it is going to be all for naught.

I suppose the lesson is: if you are just fiddling around with an old computer as a household server/tinkering box, when you start to make something more important on it that you actually care about, maybe then you ought to consider backups or something.

Red Hydra ver 0.1 alpha

Finally got around to forking the issue & version code (along with a not insignificant amount of other Cygnus code) from Cygnus v3.2. Ironically, since I cannot use Red Hydra as a bug tracker for itself yet, I need to keep track of them in a text file or something.

Patch notes:

  • Copied over frontend issue and version display and administration files
  • Copied over menu, header & footer, and DB connection include files
  • Copied over issue and version class files
  • Copied over CSS main file
  • Created Red Hydra dev and prod DBs, then copied over Issue and Version tables & data
  • Copied over config.php, with modifications